My son is 3 and has absolutely NO desire to go to the bathroom in the toilet. It is so frustrating for him to not, not to mention I hate buying and changing diapers. Any advice? I don't know what to do. I am really tempted to just give up trying and let him do it on his own. What should I do?

Tags: potty, training

Views: 4

Replies to This Discussion

To get my son to use his potty I made a grab bag of different little toys and treats and let him pick a prize every time he used his potty. I just bought a bunch of party favors and cars from the dollar store. He loved it. I also used a potty training kit with stickers. You can get it for free from Pampers here. I hope that helps.
My son was a slow walker and talker, never in a hurry for anything, I will tell you what my pediatrician told me when I was worried about my son's potty training: all in good time. Man I hated that at the time, but he was right. Now I don't know if it was a boy thing (my daughter-first born-was no trouble at all) but my son was slow to adapt to the idea. I just figured he would want to be like his big sister-WRONG. I did stickers, a special potty that played music, bribes, new big boy underwear with super heroes, threats, you name it. He eventually liked the idea of doing #1 in the regular toilet but #2 forget it. I think he was almost 4 when he started having successes, but before he started kindergarten he started a backward slide. He started "holding" #2 and not making it to the potty. I am not sure what finally did it but it may have had something to do with his excitement about the start of kindergarten and my saying that he wouldn't be able to go if he couldn't do #2 in the potty... He went to kindergarten but took another step back-he would hold it all day and then rush up to the house after getting off the bus, and you guessed it. I told him that if he had more accidents like that, I was going back to pullups. Finally sucess (and he was almost 6...)
I really feel for you because it is so frustrating. Maybe one of the things I mentioned above will help you. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. I am wondering if it is just me, maybe I am doing something wrong.
For me potty training was one of the most frustrating times of my life. I started the process when he was 3 years old, and I tried EVERYTHING!, stickers, toys, rewards. I finally tried two things (even thought I think he was ready by then!) it was summer and I let him ran naked for a week (lots of cleaning!!) and I gave him M&M as rewards, it worked like a charm. I was very against using food for reward, but it was my last chance. He was 3 years and 4 months when I can say he was potty trained, of course you should expect some accidents, and we had a lot of them, by 4 and a half he was going to the bathroom 100% of the time.

In my experience I say, boys are a little late bloomers, they decide when they are ready, and I have to have a lot of patience with myself. My second son is 21 months and I'm getting ready, I hope this second time is a better experience for me :)

RSS

10/24/14 BLOG PROMPT

Facebook Hop - Every Monday!

CATCH THE BUZZ

SPECIAL HELLO FROM FRAN!

Link to Us

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service