This holiday season, I am trying to buy as many gifts from local and independent handmade artists. So I was thinking, why would you buy handmade - I have prepared a quick top five reasons to buy handmade year-round (not just a holiday thing)
1. SUPPORT - Buying handmade shows your support for local handmade artists. Most of us (including artists) are struggling with the economy the way it is, and by purchasing handmade gifts you may help a struggling artists pay for life’s necessities. I would much rather buy a handmade gift rather than a supporting the big-box stores.
2. UNIQUE - Handmade artists make one-of-a-kind gifts, something truly unique. Just the other day I was wearing a necklace from a local artist, I got so many compliments, and people asking "Where did you find that?"
3. QUALITY - Handmade artists pride themselves in providing quality with every item that they sell. For example, if I make a card and it's not perfect, I often discard the piece and start again. Another example is a handmade knitted hat I purchased, you can feel the quality. Many handmade artists will ensure that every stitch, clasp or whatever is perfect. When I buy handmade I know I am getting a quality piece of work.
4. CUSTOM - I have purchased so many customizes pieces over the years. How many time have you been shopping and seen the perfect item and though "if only it was in another colour". When you buy handmade it's as simple as 'can you make this in pink!".
5. ECONOMICAL - Buying handmade is affordable (which I know is surprising to many). I would much rather spend $20 on a piece of jewellery that will last many years, then $5 on a piece that will tarnish or break in months.
So before you buy something that is in mass production, stop and think. So with the holidays right around the corner, and all the rush and fuss, don't forget about the little "gal", the shops that are owned by moms and small business owners. There are so many reasons to shop handmade, I hope I have opened your eyes to just a few.
I have a great list of over 150 quality handmade artists and artists on our website. Everything (art, baby, toys, body, candles, clothing, décor, jewellery, glass, pottery, fabric, food, knitting, paper goods, stain glass, wood and more).
I hope you will take a little time this holiday season and support handmade.