I love blog hops. You add your blog url and boom, you get tons of visitors to your blog.

Or, do you?

Blog hops are a great way to meet other bloggers and to let others know you exist. I'm just not so sure that they hold the same great traffic source that they used to.

When I sign up for a blog hop, I make it my mission to visit (at least) half the bloggers on the list. There have been times that I have made it my mission to visit every blogger on the list, even when there was over fifty bloggers.  Not once has that paid off for me.

Maybe it's because there are so many more bloggers out there now then when it was just us old school bloggers, and it's just too hard to visit everyone. Or, bloggers have become too caught up on their own blog to pay back that favor when someone visits thier blog from the blog hop.

It's truly sad to sign up for a blog hop that has over a hundred bloggers signed up and you visit the hostess (usually required) and she only has ten comments. When I see that, I know that no matter how many blogs I visit, I'm probably not getting even a quarter visits back.

Have I given up on blog hops?

Not yet.

I'm hoping that some day I'll find that perfect blog hop where everyone takes the time to visit every hopeful blogger on that list. Maybe, we will all become friends too. That's when my faith will be truly renewed towards the benefit of signing up for a  blog hop.

I also believe that cookies can fall from the sky if you wish really hard.

Views: 181

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have never tried a blog hop. I don't want a lot of followers who are not really engaging with my content organically. A one time visitor is not as valuable on the long term or short term. I'd rather have consistent, repeat visitors over time who really engage with my content, and so far hops from what I'm observing superficially don't really bring you repeat traffic, it's more of a one shot deal.

I do visit every blogger that leaves me a legitimate comment and return the love (not always the same day because I do have a 'day job' in addition to my blog, but I do get back to everyone who leaves me a comment). Sadly many try to just post the links to their giveaways everywhere even it it's not a hop. That's why I moderate ALL entries!

I partook in one blog hop and it was a disaster.  Not only did I get very few visits, but I ended up with both a Google Chrome Malware warning and a unsafe rating on Norton because one of the blogs I linked to was infected with Malware!

It took me ages to get my site 'cleaned' and reviewed and re-rated.  So now I would never link out to a blog I had not verified personally.  Its often new and small bloggers that take part, and these are the ones most vulnerable to security breaches.

Be careful!

Where is it that we find these blog hops?  This is the first I've heard of them.

I like blog hops, and have one of my own on Fridays. It seems like half of the people that link to mine comment. I think that's pretty good. When I visit blogs from hops I normally comment where I found them from. I think they are still a good way to build traffic and a few comments.

Visit my blog at Dreaming of Perfect, and join my blog hop on Fridays!

I'd like to try a blog hop!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

11/24/14 DAILY BLOG PROMPT

Facebook Hop - Every Monday!

CATCH THE BUZZ

SPECIAL HELLO FROM FRAN!

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service